Step It Up builds educators’ capacity to provide systematic, explicit and effective literacy instruction to all students and targeted intervention for students experiencing difficulties with reading and writing.
Classroom teachers in grades 4 – 12, principals, reading coaches and interventionists, paraprofessionals, and members of the school assessment/RtI team
The goal of Step It Up is to increase the literacy skills of all students in grades 4 – 12.
Educators build increased capacity to:
- Articulate core literacy knowledge
- Integrate reading and writing in all content areas
- Provide direct, explicit literacy instruction
- Analyze student literacy needs and differentiate instruction
- Increased response to each student’s reading and writing skill levels
- Increased reading accuracy and fluency for students grades 4 – 12
- Increased vocabulary development for students in grades 4 – 12
- Increased reading comprehension for students in grades 4 – 12
- Increased graduation rates
Teachers’ needs are determined through collaborative analysis of data and discussion. Teachers gain evidence-based literacy knowledge about how students learn to read, how to effectively use assessment and screening instruments to determine appropriate teaching strategies, and specific instructional strategies, for both progressive skill development and remediation in four main areas: (1) reading accuracy and fluency, (2) reading comprehension, (3) vocabulary development, and (4) writing skills.
Support is provided to school leadership on topics such as schedule design for blocks of targeted, intensive intervention, data analysis, and effective program management and delivery.
A needs assessment is conducted to determine student and teacher needs.
Educators participate in an interactive summer institute, and/or participate in several whole group interactive knowledge-building sessions at the school site.
Application of new knowledge skill development is supported by monthly technical assistance, including:
- Facilitating large and small group problem-solving sessions
- Facilitating study groups
- Coaching and mentoring
- Conducting classroom observations with positive corrective feedback
- Participation in school assistance team meetings
- Consulting with individual teachers to identify key strengths and challenges for a specific student, and to match that student’s profile to specific strategies and tactics
- Facilitating conversations with parents on Learning Profiles topics
- E-mentoring, teleconferencing and webinars
Step It Up for Adolescent Literacy is implemented by reading and literacy specialists.
CDL will customize this initiative to fit the unique needs of your school.
Pricing and Additional Information
Contact us at:
One Galleria Blvd., Suite 903
Metairie, LA 70001